So you’ve got a dog with some irritating behavior problems. You need some help…well here are some tactics that will work for you….
Here are some ideas that will help:
- Any behavior that gets rewarded is likely to be repeated.Make sure your dog only gets rewarded for the behavior you want.
- A “reward” (reinforcement, technically speaking) is anything the dog wants or needs at that moment.Liver treats. Going for a walk. Your attention.
- Prevent unwanted behavior from getting reinforced.Just reward for good behavior!
- Train a new, good behavior to replace the one you’re trying to get rid of.
- Reinforce the behavior you want….not what he wants!
- Many behavior problems are caused by the dog being bored out of her mind.
- Make a list of each behavior, ask yourself what reward he’s getting out of it, then make sure that behavior no longer gets that reward.
- Consider each bad habit and ask yourself: do I actually care? Pick your battles wisely. Not every behavior problem needs to be fixed.
- Make sure your whole household is on the same page as far as rules and cues go.
- Does your dog play too rough with your kids? Teach them to be more gentle.
- Weaken bad habits by disrupting the daily routines that trigger them.
- Desensitize him to the leash. For 30 minutes every day this week, let him wear it around the house without going out.
- Use a bitter-tasting deterrent spray to keep him from chewing up stuff he shouldn’t.
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper in areas of the yard you don’t want her digging.
- Get a crate and spend a day teaching your dog to use it.
- If he urine marks inside the house, try feeding him in his usual pee spots (after you clean the area).
Wear your dog out with exercise and mental stimulation
- Take your dog for daily walks to burn that energy.
- IF he is high energy, let him run for an hour or so in an area that is safe.
- Teach him to fetch, this can be used anytime to exercise him.
- Try different toys or hide and seek which teaches them to use the nose to find things.
- Teach special tricks – again this is a great exercise
- Bond with your dog by getting a kiddy pool he can and you can play in.
- Use several cups and put a treat under one and let him find the treat.
Help your dog chill out
- For five minutes every day, have him lie on the mat while you calmly but generously reinforce him with treats and praise.
- Practice Separation.
- Use a click to praise them for lying down or being in a calm state.